UVA Safe Ride
Safe Ride’s purpose is to provide a safe passage for current students with valid student IDswho would otherwise have to walk alone at night by providing free van shuttle rides. The service began as a cooperative venture of Student Council and the University of Virginia Police Department in the late 1980s. The Program is operational during the hours that UTS services are not running.
School Session Hours: Sunday thru Wednesday 12 midnight to 7 a.m. / Thursday thru Saturday 2:30 a.m. to 7 a.m.
Reading Days / J-Term: Monday thru Sunday 12 midnight to 7 a.m.
Summer Session Hours: Monday thru Sunday 12 midnight to 7 a.m.
Essential Position Functions and Key Duties
- Safe Ride Operators will be dispatched to various location throughout the boundaries of the Program to provide free rides to students who have requested a ride via phone or mobile app.
- Safe Ride Operators are required to provide timely notifications to our dispatch on situations relative to hazards, suspicious persons/activity and medical/other emergencies they may encounter while performing their service.
- Safe Ride Operators will maintain reports to account for services they provide.
- Safe Ride Operators will be approachable, proactive, and detailed orientated.
- Safe Ride Operators will provide students with accurate directions, information, and assistance relative to the University of Virginia’s students, faculty, and visitors.
Education, Training and Certifications Required
- Must possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent. College education or equivalent is preferred.
- Must obtain a VA DCJS 01-E Unarmed Security Officer License prior to beginning work. This course will be taught in-house and includes a full fingerprint background check, classroom instruction, and final exam. Cleary Act training will also be included in this instruction. This license must be renewed bi-annually by completing a recertification course also taught in-house.
- Successful completion of an in-house vehicle training program prior to beginning work.
- Valid VA Driver’s License with a clean record. CDL endorsement is preferred, but not required.
Skills Required For Position
- Ability to interact cordially and communicate with a diverse community.
- Ability to operate a portable radio and provide clear transmissions.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to assess and evaluate situations quickly, accurately, and effectively.
- Must be able to accurately follow SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures).
- Must have reliable transportation and always be punctual for assigned shifts.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a foreign citizen authorized to legally work in the U.S.
- Must have a strong and verifiable work history with focus given to customer service positions.
- Must submit to an extensive background check including: criminal history (VA State Police & FBI fingerprints), personal & professional references, employment and education verifications, and DMV.
- Must maintain a neat, clean, & well-groomed appearance at all times.
- Must be able to physically carry out job duties which will include up to eight hours driving a vehicle.
- Must be physically able to work in all kinds of weather environments and scenarios and operate a vehicle safely in varied weather conditions.
- Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a 90 day probationary period.
Click here to view the December 2018 Parking and Transportation Employee of the Month!