VCU ESS Program
To enhance safety & security options on both of VCU’s urban campuses (Monroe Park and MCV) the VCU Police Department has partnered with RMC Events, Inc. to provide additional security patrols throughout their campuses. These patrols will occur at designated Residential, Commercial, & Academic facilities in addition to the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA). The primary purpose of this External Security Services Program is to provide high visibility and high proactive engagement with members of the community to enhance overall safety & security. External Security Services Staff will personify the face of Virginia Commonwealth University and will often be the first point of contact for students, faculty, visitors, and the public in and around both the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses. This 365 days a year/24hrs a day Program employs approximately one hundred DCJS 01-E Licensed Unarmed Security staff to provide post security and mobile patrols.
Essential Position Functions and Key Duties
- External Security Services (ESS) Staff serve as additional eyes and ears to the VCU Police Department in addition to various other units such as Residential Housing, Academic & Commercial Centers, & the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA).
- External Security Services (ESS) Staff are required to provide timely notifications to our Command Post on situations relative to hazards, suspicious persons/activity and medical/other emergencies.
- External Security Services (ESS) Staff will maintain daily Occurrence Logs and Incident specific reports to account for services they provide.
- External Security Services (ESS) Staff will be approachable, proactive, and aware of persons who appear lost or looking for assistance and provide proactive assistance to those individuals.
- External Security Services (ESS) Staff will provide the public with accurate directions, information, and assistance relative to VCU’s students, faculty, and visitors.
- External Security Service (ESS) Staff will be a deterrent to crime by being highly visible and extremely proactive in engaging with a broad collegiate community.
Education, Training and Certifications Required
- Must possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent. College education or equivalent is preferred.
- Previous law enforcement, military, and/or security experience is preferred.
- Must obtain a VA DCJS 01-E Unarmed Security Officer License prior to beginning work. This course will be taught in-house and includes a full fingerprint background check, classroom instruction, and final exam. Clery Act, Title IX, basic CIT, and Civil Diversity training will also be included in this instruction. This license must be renewed bi-annually by completing a recertification course also taught in-house.
Skills Required For Position
- Ability to interact cordially and communicate with a diverse community.
- Ability to operate a portable radio and provide clear transmissions in English.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to assess and evaluate situations quickly, accurately, and effectively.
- Must be able to accurately follow SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) & Post Orders.
- Must have reliable transportation and always be punctual for assigned shifts.
CLICK HERE to view the October 2018 VCU ESS Employee of the Month!